Monday 4 October 2010

2 weeks till d-day...

In fact, it's slightly under two weeks now, but I'll be starting freelancing on the 18th October. I've freelanced on a part-time basis before, back when I was Literature Development Officer for Derby, but at least then you know you have the security of a nice wage-packet from the Council. This is going to be the full freelance experience, with all the joys and miseries that accompany it.


Nervous? Yes, naturally. I think if you're not nervous then you don't have a healthy respect for what you're getting into. Rather than going into a cosy office every day you're going to be sat at home, canvassing people for work or trying to get some of your own projects off the ground, neither of which is an easy thing to do.


Excited? Yes, naturally. The expansion of Alt.Fiction is a great project, and I can't wait to see what I can get going as part of the year-round programme as well as how the weekend event is going to look. I'm also involved in next year's FantasyCon as Associate Chair, which will be a great experience too. Other than that it's a blank canvas just waiting for me to paint something on it...

I've never had a blog before, but for me this will be a space to talk about current projects and ideas, link to cool stuff that I've found around the place, talk writing and reading at large and share war stories from the world of events and conventions. I hope you'll all head back to see more as time goes on...

1 comment:

  1. Good luck, Alex. I managed it for 5 years, doing a mixture of writing and publishing, but have had to slip back into the world of full-time employment. As a Nottingham & Derby sci-fi author (exiled in London), it's great to discover East Midlands SFF. Don't spend too much time blogging that you don't manage enough work!

    ReplyDelete